Mongo Joins Sprinter Life Pack…For Now

Stevie and I settled back into our daily routine here in Huanchaco and I’ve got to tell you, it’s pretty damn nice. I like 2012.

Since I can’t surf due to my nose injury, (click here to view), I’ve just been working every day. Waves have been piss anyway. Where the hell did the swell go, it’s tiny town out there.

Stevie has been working on the community school, writing, and conducting her daily yoga class.

She’s also been searching for Mongo every day. For those of you who don’t remember, Mongo is a street dog that Stevie started feeding. Then she started bringing him home. Then he started spending the night. By the time we left on our road trip last month, Mongo was hanging out every day.

The day we left he chased the van down the street.

I indulged Stevie in the “what if” game for 2 weeks… “What if Mongo gets hit by a car, what if Mongo can’t find food, what if Mongo gets in a fight?”  God I hate those games. I kept having to remind her that Mongo survived on the streets for a long time before he met Sprinter Life.

Nevertheless, I knew that if anything did actually happen to Mongo, I would be blamed. I’m the one who said he couldn’t go with us on the road trip.

After her 3rd day of searching, I agreed to go out to help find Mongo.

We found him curled up on a dirty street. When he saw Stevie he flipped out. He couldn’t wait to go home with us. I knew that bringing him home this time was different. It was going to carry a responsibility beyond just a bowl of food. I calculated the scenarios.

I usually maintain order in Sprinter Life by securing Kiki’s vote. To my surprise, she turned her back on me. Apparently, Mongo is Kiki’s boyfriend… soooo… I was F’ed. We all headed home.

I used my last bit of political capital to lay down a couple rules for the new pack member:

1) Mongo gets a bath, which I promptly gave him.

2) We can’t take Mongo with us when we go back on the road, period, end of story, no discussion.

So, that means….

I own the tasks of getting Mongo shots, getting him fixed, and giving him basic training, like NOT to pee on my surf board bag.

Stevie’s job will be feeding him homemade lumps and showering him with attention.

And we both get to share the joy of loving him.  He really is a great dog.

I know what some of you are probably thinking, but please, just stop.

I have this situation under complete control.

Comments

1. I think those are pretty good ground rules 🙂 BIENVENIDO Mango!! <3

2. lol..oh Tree, you are SO screwed! Enjoy your new dog:)

• Thanks Rhonda. Support is what I need most. 🙂

• Just keeping it real oh, but wait, you’re completely in control of the situation! Jim was laughing his ass off reading this last night. I’m sure he’s terrified the same thing will happen with us.
        Cheers,
        Rhonda

3. Completely under control…famous last words 🙂 Welcome to Sprinterlife Mongo.

4. Ursula Martìnez says:

MUCHAS GRACIAS POR EL AMOR QUE LEDAS A MI BEBE CALLEJERO.. EL TE QUIERE MUCHO!!! MIL MIL GRACIAS
    Y ES MANGO!!! HIHIHIHIHI

5. Keep Him:)))

6. Go mango!

7. El novio de KiKi es muy guapo!

8. Oh MOngo is SO going with you when you leave…..i know you know that already ….denial Tree. 🙂

OMG you are sooooooooooo funny.

10. Justin Gilbert says:

When i look at the smaller pic from my phone, i thought it was an insanely buff house cat. But now i see its a dog.

• When are you coming?

Remember the time we found that poor hungry street cat that was meowing pitifully in front of 7/11, and we bought him food and coddled him and debated who should adopt the poor little bugger, until finally one of us looked at his tag and it said, “I’m not lost.” Suckers!

When are you coming?

11. I just stumbled upon your blog today (haven’t even read many posts) and couldn’t stop myself from posting just to say Hi! My soon-to-be-husband and I are planning on doing EXACTLY WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING, right down to the vehicle. We hope to be able to be well on our way towards leaving two years from now (gotta loose a house, save some $$, get the Sprinter, and figure out how to make it all happen). I’m thinking that your blog and adventures are going to serve up some great inspiration for us! Anyhow, I am off to read some posts and get to know you guys and hopefully learn from you as well. You’ve got yourself a new reader here!

• Oh my goodness!! Serendipity at its best 🙂 I’m so excited for you guys! Please feel free to ask as many questions as you’d like along the way. We love our lifestyle and, honestly, we enjoy encouraging and supporting anyone who’s interested in taking the nomadic plunge. It can be kind of scary (but not really) and overwhelming (but yes really!) to get started, we know how it goes, so keep in touch with us. We’ll help in any way we can. Feliz ano! And thank you for commenting. We really love comments…they let us know we’re not just writing into the abyss. It feels good to be connected.

12. oh mongo – im’ in love with you already. don’t leave him behind!!

Tree – you are dead meat, man….

14. Andrea Greever says:

you’re so screwed lol he’s family now

15. (As dictated to Noni . .)

“Today is my Birthday!
    I was born in a zoo
    (That’s why I’m your little Bunny FooFoo.)”

16. Sit Mongo SIT! Is it going to be hard to speak to one dog in Peruvian and one dog in english? Oh never mind, I’m sure Stevie taught Kiki to ruff in many languages.

17. You guys are going trade up to a school bus or something.. Just think- next you guys are going to adopt a kid. Always starts with a pound dog.. eh street dog lol. On a more serious note- just kidding about the kid. Dogs are cool though. Although when they get older, they can’t surf with you like a kid can.
    Back to my cubicle/er shed.
    Ever since I quit my job I pretty much ended up like this comic.

18. Teri Hogan says:

I was sad when you left him before…….he is one lucky dog! Loved readingthe blog post and how you went looking for him when you got back. Kiki and Mongo sitting in a tree………

19. julio n lauren says:

Got home at midnight from Mancora, n decided to grab a biero at Mamacha’s bar….
    Mango popped home with me for an empanada n then went back out to party. When Julio finally decided to go home at day break, bumped into Mango and decided to have a beer and a chat over life in Huanchaco. It must have been pretty good for him cause he didn’t stick around for a second beer, back doored it and left him alone on the beach. Probably went for a Sprinter Life breaky instead!!!!

• Welcome home!!!!! I’m glad you guys are back. We’ve just been running errands all day. Ugh!! Definitely looking forward to some yoga tomorrow! I gotta go find the party animal now….Kiki misses her boyfriend. xo.

20. Liz Tompkins says:

Hi Stevie and Tree,

It’s been awhile since I caught up with your blog- Ahhhh the lazy crazy days of winter.
    Anyway, congrats on the new dog. We nearly came home from Mexico with one as well. As soon as we named her ( Lupita) I knew we were sunk. If it wasn’t for the 6 week wait period after the shots we would have brought her home – and we’re not really dog people!
    Happy NEw YEar!
    Liz

21. this is my favorite post of all time. please, please adopt him permanently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kiki is getting older, and a young dog will keep her young! and it never hurts to have double the dog love in your life. i’ll help in any way i can.
    xoxoxo

22. I doubt we’ve heard the last of this. Neva is happy for you. Jim grunted when he read it. You know how we are struggling to consider life with / without our dog on the road. For now Neva is coming. But I would be hard pressed to suggest an addition. For tonite, Neva is enjoying her first hotel stay – and at the Flamingo Hilton in Las Vegas to boot.

• I’m just gonna say it once, you guys are crazy if you don’t bring your dog. There is no reason not to. We’ve had no problems that were serious. Only small issues that were easy to solve.