Yesterday Mongo had his latest close call, and this one almost finished him.
We were gone all morning running errands. When we returned home we found Mongo laying on the front door step soaked in his own saliva, unable to move, barely breathing, with severe muscle tremors bordering on seizures.
A quick examination of his body and the vomit by his side revealed what we had instantly suspected. Someone had fed Mongo poison. Rat poison wrapped in chicken.
Unfortunately this is a common occurrence. For the most part, Latin America has a love/hate relationship with dogs. We’ve seen it a lot in the last couple years. Remember the poor dog who died in Costa Rica a year ago? (click here). Stevie tried to save it, but was too late.
We rushed Mongo to the vet. That was a long 10 minute taxi ride. I thought he was going to die right there.
He was not doing well when we got to the vet. She went to work on him and I caught Stevie actually praying.
After medicine was administered, he nursed on an electrolyte/vitamin solution IV for eight hours. Although, it looks like he is going to live, he is still very weak, shaky, and unable to stand or walk for any length of time or distance. We fear that he has suffered permanent neurological damage, which is the main long term effect of rat poison if it doesn’t kill you.
Whoever tried to kill Mongo gravely underestimated this dog. It’s been proven time and again…
Mongo is hard to kill.
And a personal message to the muther F’er who fed Mongo rat poison,
I’m looking for you.
You are a cold hearted coward and when I find you, I’m going to force feed that same meal down your throat. I promise.
P.S. Dear online veterinarian friends, if you have any information that could help us get Mongo the treatment he needs to make a full recovery, please tell us ASAP. Due to Mongo’s sudden and violent onset of symptoms, the vet seemed to think that he ate a type of rat poison with phosphate in it, as opposed to the other slower acting kind.