Dar a Luz – To Give To Light

“We are travelers on a cosmic journey, stardust, swirling and dancing in the eddies and whirlpools of infinity. Life is eternal. We have stopped for a moment to encounter each other, to meet, to love, to share.  This is a precious moment. It is a little parenthesis in eternity.”  -Paulo Coehlo, The Alchemist

I’m inspired by the Central and South American way of saying ‘to give birth.’  Rather than using the Spanish verb parir, they use an idiomatic expression, Dar a Luz, which literally translates as “to give to light”, or “to bring to light.”

This seems appropriate to me for many reasons.  For one, I have had the honor of witnessing a birth in my life, and when I held that baby minutes after she was born, she was like a glowing orb of light—perfect, otherworldly, and yet remarkably human.

I’m not a religious person at all, more of a Romantic, believing that the divine expresses itself in nature, something we are indivisibly a part of.

And now I am part of this divine natural process of bringing to light, of shepherding a being to birth.

In Latin America, they also call the actual birth an “alumbramiento”, meaning, an illumination.

So, on the one hand, we are god like, bringing light unto the world, and on the other hand, the birth, itself, is an illumination, a being illumined by the divinity within.

We are light giving to light.

Reflecting on this process of creating life, it’s hard not to marvel at the mystery and utter perfection of it.  I get so caught up in who I think I am—all my thoughts, opinions, experiences, passions and pains—that I forget that I am a perfect being illumined, a thread in the holy fabric that connects us all, a part of our sacred nature.

Already this tiny orb in my belly has reminded me of the most important lesson of all, that we are all stardust.  We tell the history of the Universe in every atom of our being.  We are part of something much bigger than self.

My Baby’s Heartbeat – Watch Video

In another context, I think of “bringing to light” as holding a torch for my child to shed light on the wonders of nature, the mechanics and mysteries of science, the poetry of words, the exquisite pleasure of fine cuisine, and the licentious passion of music and art.

The academic in me is already drawing out lesson plans for the next eighteen years, and Tree is planning a family whitewater river tour across the world, to take place as soon as our child learns to swim, something he plans to teach in infancy.

Clearly, we are both very excited to bring this baby to light.

-Stevie

“Physicists say we are made of stardust. Intergalactic debris and far-flung atoms, shards of carbon nanomatter rounded up by gravity to circle the sun. As atoms pass through an eternal revolving door of possible form, energy and mass dance in fluid relationship. We are stardust, we are man, we are thought. We are story.” – Glenda Burgess

Footnote: In the video, I went back and asked the doctor again what he was referring to, and it’s the baby’s body measurement, not its hand, that he was referring to.  :)

Also, I am currently 12.5 wks, not 10, but we haven’t updated my belly shot yet!

Comments

1. Megan Hall says:

Love it!! That video made me cry. It is So Amazing to hear it for the first time and know that it is REAL. I’ve done it twice and I’m still in Awe of the whole process. Love you and Super Duper Excited for what the Future has in store for your growing family!

• Thanks Megan! I didn’t expect to cry when I heard the heartbeat, but it just hit me so hard. You’re right, it made it REAL, so powerful. Can’t wait for the day when Tree and I make a trip up north with baby in tow to see you guys. I love you!!!

2. Kaycee B Smith says:

How far a long are you? Is that your lil baby bump? You are tiny!

3. Julie Belknap says:

October babies are the best:)

4. Cybil Oechsle says:

congrats Stevie :)

5. Madrigal Madri says:

pura vida !!! :) :) :) :)

6. Terry Buchanan says:

Looking forward to the progression of the baby bump! Congratulations!!

7. Cheryll Anglin says:

You’re so tiny, Love. Be sure to sit in a squat every day to prepare your hips. You are a beautiful mama to be:) x

I’m SOOO Happy for you two!! It is such an Amazing Experience!! Yay :o }

9. Jackie Kittrell says:

Now you get to eat lots of protein! Love you!

10. Luis Roselli says:

Congratulations Stevie!

11. Mauricio Arredondo L says:

steeeeeviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii…………..

12. Cindy Chischilly says:

Your Beautiful!!!

13. Gina Marie Camp says:

Oooo, do we get to watch you grow! This is so fun!!! Congrats beautiful ♥

14. Jose Oscar Acevedo says:

October…. the best month…!!!

15. Cathy Hearn says:

keep taking those photos! what a great adventure!

16. Joanna Konno says:

WOW!!! Thats wonderful news! Congratulations!!

17. Elizabeth Lisa Ann Donnelly says:

I don’t know you but I think this is cool to do. Good luck;)

18. Irish Murph says:

Congratulations to you both :-)

19. Cathy Fanandakis Alexander says:

Congrats to you both:-))))

20. Mylene Pocorni says:

Congratulations and have a wonderful pregnancy

21. Reagan Gagnon says:

you definitely don’t look preggers. you look like an outdoorsy badass beauty

22. Shannon Petrello says:

Congratulations! I loved reading your blog post, very beautiful. What a lucky baby to have you both. I’m actually right behind you with our first baby: due October 30!

23. Elbert Farmer says:

Stevie, i am so happy for u r going to be a great mom

24. Mick Evans says:

You & Tree may travel some more, but, I think you’ve already found home *smiles*

25. Lisa La Bella says:

Congratulations!!!!

26. Ivan Prates says:

Yaaaaayy so awesome! Parabens! Make sure you are in Brazil on October… Aprovechen muchisimo!

27. Wayne Wardlow says:

Way to go, Stevie!!!

28. Judy Shuman says:

A Precious Gem! ” ~ So happy for you! ~ I have 5 darling sweeties! ~ My Best friends! ~ :)

29. Patricia Martin Bunch says:

How super exciting! Congratulations

30. Freida Whiddon Cox says:

little baby bump> so sweet..my bday is Oct 4th.

31. “I already love it.” …you make my heart sing Stevie. Thank you for all of the beautiful updates; it’s almost like being there with you.

XoXo,
    C

32. Congrats on the belly!

There are so many words in Spanish that do not have a one word translation in English. One word that sticks out in my mind, is “aprovechar” which means “to use up to it’s fullest potential”. The late Victor Dominquez mentions that in his book “Your Money or Your Life”, and I have never forgotten it.

• Thanks Joe! It’s funny that you mention “aprovechar.” I learned it in a book of mine, and it was translated as “to take advantage of.” It took me a while to figure how to actually use it in speech, but now that I got the hang of it, it’s such a useful word. I wish we did have it english.

33. OMG, I look more pregnant than you do!!!

34. Is that the “we” part? Ha Ha

35. Pinda Hall says:

Absolutely Beautiful! Congratulations and we are so happy for you both! :)

For an easy labor and birth be sure to drink raspberry leaf tea every day during your pregnancy. My wife and I learned this from an old German herbalist and both of our children were born after an easy 3 hour labor.

• Thanks so much for the advice. I read about this tip online when I was doing some research. I’m glad to have it confirmed by some real experience! A 3 hour labor sounds about my speed :)

Already you and Tree are writing Love Letters to you your baby (on this blog). Someday (s)he will read what you two have written and will know how you have utterly adored and celebrated your child from Day One (and that half the world is celebrating WITH you!)
    I am so happy for you.
    Love you.

38. Jim Kimball says:

get ready for the ride of you life ! So great. Congradulations.

39. Cathy Alexander says:

Stevie: Posted a comment on you tube Thanks for sharing! That is amazing!!!! LUV Cathy

40. Teri Hogan says:

That’s beautiful Stevie.

41. Jan Meyer says:

Stevie and Tree!

“To give to light….” I love it! Yours is a beautiful story indeed. One of great light and enlightenment… I will confess that you guys hold a special place in my heart – you both seem so open, aware and in love with life and each other. With just enough reality, humor and alcohol tossed in to keep it authentic…

I enjoy your posts so much and WAS THRILLED TO PIECES that you two awesome people will be nurturing a little one on this planet. Having children is certainly the greatest experience I have ever been gifted with. My first pregnancy was particularly magical and so I can really appreciate all that you are going through and awakening to. It’s a great privilege to have children, in my opinion. It’s not for everyone, but I can’t say enough for it.

Anyway, I’m terrible at FB and posting comments… I far prefer long and involved conversations over a fine wine and dinner… So Maui and I can’t wait to partake in such an event next time you guys are in HR.

Until then, keep being the amazing beings you both are – and continue piling the love on that tiny bambino. One supremely lucky kiddo!!!!

With love,
    Jan

42. Tim Gill says:

Congrats!

43. Jenica Fonttenaus says:

Wow, your entry just made me cry. I’m so happy for you guys. Having a baby is the MOST magical thing two humans can experience together and you both have obviously embraced that idea. That is what is so amazing…most couples don’t get it at this magnitude, but you do. How very unique. Thanks for sharing

44. Marty Galindo-Schmith says:

In some ways it is hard to believe that little Garrett is going to have a baby, but after getting to know you over Facebook, Stevie, over the past year I can understand why he needs to have a child with you. From one wandering spirit to another, I am happy for you and hope you enjoy pregnancy as much as I enjoyed mine. Marty (Mariah’s childhood friend)

• Thank you so much Marty. I’ve heard your name come up with love numerous times at Indra’s house. I hope someday our paths cross. It would be wonderful to meet you in person.

45. Renee Scherr May says:

Magnifico!!!! Me encanta esta expresion tambien!! Estoy muy muy emocionada para tu y Tree!!