Way in at the Way Inn Lodge

After spending a few days acclimatizing to the altitude in Caraz, Stevie and I set out for the mountains.

Our destination – The Way Inn Lodge

The mountains of the Cordillera Blanca towered over us as we made our way off the valley floor. Those are very, very big summits!

We drove through many small villages and as we got higher, the towns got smaller and smaller.

Stevie shot this amazing photo as we passed through one of the last little towns. Look at the years in that face.

I can’t help but to think about how different her life has been compared to mine. Simple. Close to the earth. Hard. Pure.

I love this photo….

Finally there were no more towns. Just the mountain road.

And a few high altitude puff balls.

We arrived at The Way In Lodge late in the afternoon and set up the van. To say this place is breathtaking would be an absolute understatement. Perched just above tree line, The Way Inn stares directly at the white capped mountains of the Cordillera Blanca.

Stevie is doing great with the altitude. I couldn’t think of a better place for my pregnant wife to relax and recharge her batteries. Energy just pours off of these mountains and into your soul.

We’ve been taking small hikes, and I’ve been exploring the rock climbing potential in the area. Stay tuned. We’ve got some amazing photos coming!

Comments

1. Man- I want to check that place out.. Looks like such a cool place.,

2. Kathy Mueller Hansen says:

She is beautiful

3. Freida Whiddon Cox says:

A few stories to tell for sure in those eyes…do you know her age?

4. Chuck Seaman says:

strong and resourceful and full of wisdom

5. love

6. Roberto Corovini says:

que buena esta foto

7. Precious Darling! ~ I love her! ~ I left my Heart in the Andes!

8. Addie Arboleda says:

I love seeing the world through your Facebook!! How awesome… Keep us posted for sure!!

9. Gorgeous! Just checked out lost world’s pics from the lodge as well. Have a fantastic time and hey, what ever happened with Mongo?

• Hey Rhonda. It’s always so nice to hear from you! The lodge was awesome. We highly recommend it to anyone going through the Cordillera Blanca. Mongo is doing great. He’s with our friend Ursula in Huanchaco. I miss him terribly! We’re still looking for a permanent home, though, so if you know of anyone with lots of space and time to spend outdoors who wants an AWESOME dog, let us know. Take care!

ah, el cielo . . .

una imagen que dice mucho, cuanta humildad que falta en muchos.

12. She’s incredible, as are you Stevie,,Wow the Andes , how lucky you are …!!

13. Looks like a great, beautiful side trip. You guys are awesome!

14. Sara Gepp says:

I love that! I want to be like her when I grow up!!!!

15. Amazing stuff, you two.
    I look forward to the time I can visit there myself.
    Travel safely and play nice.
    I look forward to your next post.
    Cheers,
    John

• Thanks John! You would love it here. I think you’d fall in love with the people and culture the same way that you did in Nicaragua. Although, it is much colder here!

16. Dang! That place looks spectacular. And I love the old woman. How could you not?!

• I wish we could beam you and your camera here for a day or two. It really is spectacular. We’ll do our best to keep trying to capture the intensity, but we pale in comparison to your mad skills!

17. The views just keep getting better I thought the lowland pictures were awesome but, THE SUMMIT no words can describe.
    The drive must have been treacherous. (good o’le Spinter van.) Did you guys get stuck at all?
    Stevie, how many dogs did you see that were possible adoption specimens and how many pee stops were needed or were you utilizing your “Go Girl” LOL You are so blessed, once again my Sierra trip seems wimpy in comparison.
    Tree keep driving safely.
    Mucho Gusto,
    Willy

• Hey Willy. We didn’t get stuck, thank goodness. And the van did pretty good for the 12,100ft altitude! Surprisingly, there were many dogs in the villages, but they all looked well-fed and cared for. As for the Go Girl, I use that thing at least 10x a day when we’re traveling. I have serious skills. If there was a competition to see who could use their Go Girl during the most treacherous conditions, I’d win the gold! Tree doesn’t even have to slow down. Did you load your Sierra trip into a Picasa or Kodak album so that we can access your photos online? Much love!

• Hey stevie,
        I have a nice little Nikkon with a memory card. The part that sucks is I never do more than print out the pictures and never figured out all the stuff my laptop/printer is capable of.
        I could give you a myriad of excuses for not asking an eight year old to show me but I’m ok just printing out pictures.
        As far as pictures of my sierra trip, I bring my camera but, I get so busy having fun and decompressing that I never seem to think to grab the camera except when I catch a big fish or something.
        I have some good pics of past trips, but they are all hard copies I’ve been going to the Sierras since I was a kid and lived in Lake Tahoe for almost two years. Just not a big picture kinda guy. Oh well you have pictures that rival postcards.
        When we finally cross paths I will show you some or I will learn to upload and send. DOH!!
        Always look forward to your blogs.
        Stay safe,
        Willy
        P.S. I can leave the silver with Cindy if she is cool with that, let me know..

18. Cyndi Lou says:

Unbelievable beauty!

19. Cathy Alexander says:

Stevie & Tree: Stevie you look great! Looking forward to the pictures, I liked the ones in this e-mail! Lots of Love Cathy Alexander