Life In The Mountains…

We had a few days to kill since we were stranded due to protests (click here if you have no idea what I’m talking about), so we headed way back up into the mountains, to Casa de Charlie!

Our friend Charlie has carved out a little piece of paradise. As far as I can tell, he has the last house before you’re at the base of the real wilderness –  proper.

Up here, everyone is still living very simple. Most without power or running water. Day to day. In the moment.

Charlie is British, but has jumped ship and is building a fully self-sustaining compound in the highlands of Peru. We share a very similar view on where the world is heading. I won’t go into that in this post, mostly becasue I wouldn’t want to scare you with my apocalyptic view.  🙂

We camped out on his property and had some great conversations. He was telling us that scientists expect the glaciers on these mountains to be gone in 20 years. That is INSANE, and sad.

Register people… This planet is FUCKED.

My child is going to grow up in such a different world than I did.

Imagine this – by the time these kids are my age, the mountains in which they live will be dry and barren. Their drinking water, gone. Their environment, polluted by the evil mining corporations.

This shit isn’t fantasy. It’s happening, right now.

And we’re bringng a child into it. Just F’ing great.

It’s time for us to get back on the road. We need to get to Lima, road blocks or not. Stevie has a doctors appointment. We’ll leave at 5:30 in the morning to get through any potential road blocks.

Should be an exciting week. We find out if we’re having a boy or girl.

Comments

1. First comment!!!! Whoooooo hooooooo!!!

I don’t pretend to understand why we have allowed our world to become so broken We are all accomplices in the selfishness and destruction. Often it is our apathy alone that leads to the loss of glaciers and wildlife and all the beauty we take for granted. I have no illusions that my grandchildren will have a “perfect lives”, nor any illusions that their lives will be easy or pain-free. I know there will be tough times, no matter how much we try to prepare them. And of course, everything that is happening is frightening when you picture your new child trying to cope with it.

But I have hope. I have hope and faith that, despite all the evidence of our brokenness, we can do better. We can make a better world as long as we don’t give up. We can teach our children to change the paradigm for all humanity. There is goodness in people, sometimes buried underneath so much brokenness. There is goodness in you. I have faith that your children can grow up to build a better world than I have known, and that parents like you can be a part of making that world a reality.

Despair is our enemy. If we give in to despair, then we have given up our whole world. Better we stay fiercely alive, and hopeful, and passionate about change. I do not want to believe in “losing the whole world”. Far better to keep hope alive and do right action as long as we possibly can. I rejoice in this new life you have created, a child of passionate and aware parents – what a lucky lucky child. And this baby may be the One who helps change the world, helps SAVE the world. Its up to the Tribe to grow children like this. Its up to us.

3. Melissa Albro says:

boy!!

4. Jose Oscar Acevedo says:

wow.. Congrat´s….!!

5. Drew Marquart says:

SO SICK BRO…

6. Sophia Flores-villa says:

Beautiful!

7. Kelly Breathe says:

Awesome!!

8. Tim Widmer says:

Uh.. nice. You should start marketing sprinter life screen savers..

9. Judy Shuman says:

Ooooooh Yes! Yes! ~ Sooooo Magnificent!

10. Chuck Seaman says:

unbelievable, cannot imagine it all live

11. Wow….what a gorgeous and we share your outrage about what WE are doing to our planet. Safe drive back and can’t wait to hear the baby news

12. cheryll says:

Did you make it to the doctor appointment?

13. Well said Indra,
    What baffles me is how utterly oblivious the masses are.
    I agree HOPE and awareness. (I consider the Sprinter Tribe my enlightening agents) are some of the concepts to help save or at least delay the impending doom Stevie mentions.
    WAKE THE F-up masses!!! Pay attention, pick your cause and fight!!
    It’s OUR planet.
    Do something each day to move toward saving it!!
    Stevie for world ambassador and Tree for? (don’t trip bro you are highly blessed already!)

I “gotchur”back,
    Willy

14. I meant well said “Mamatuyas” The “apocalyptic’ view got me!

15. Aunt Debby & Uncle Barry says:

16. Well I know it’s exciting to find out the sex, but the truth of the matter is you are going to have a unique individual, just like it’s parents. I have a feeling this child is going to have such experiences and opportunities and you are going to teach him or her how to be a steward for our planet and I for one think it is really important for folks like you to have kids so that the future of our world has a chance. That said…I can’t wait to find out if you hare having a boy or a girl!

17. Glad I’ve finally found something I agree with!