Our Path To MACHU PICCHU

Machu Picchu is a big deal. You have to go. That’s what everyone says.

For those of you who don’t know, Machu Picchu is a famous Inca ruin located on southern Peru. Perhaps one of the most famous ruins in the world.

We always planned to go to Machu Picchu, despite the fact that the feedback from other overlanders was not always positive. Most people we talked to were a little bitter about how expensive it was. Machu is a true, worldwide tourist destination, and the blow to your pocket book is proof of that fact.

So, I told Stevie that if we’re going to get porked going to see Machu Picchu, let’s at least get porked REALLY good… and have FUN.

I suggested that instead of hunting for the cheapest hostel and finding ways to cut the costs, lets go all in and stay at the fanciest, nicest hotel in the area. Let’s rock that shit.

That happens to be the Rupa Wasi, a beautiful boutique hotel on the hill with panoramic views of the mountain. They feature a gourmet restaurant that serves fresh trout carpaccio. They have down pillows, 24 hour hot water, and wifi.

This was a hard sell to Stevie. I had to convince her. April is my birthday month, so I pitched that we get the cheapest standard room they had, which was still ridiculous.

YEAH… Let’s get PORKED!

So, we were at a BBQ with Gian Marco and his brothers a couple days ago. I was bragging to them about our grand plans of staying at the nicest hotel at Machu Picchu. Gian Marco said to me…

“Oh, you mean the Rupa Wasi? The owner is a good friend. He lives right next door. I’ll call him over now. We’ll get you taken care of Tree”

Seriously? You could’t script this. Sure enough, 3 minutes later the owner, Francisco, showed up for the BBQ. After greeting everyone with hugs (and a kiss on the cheek for Stevie), he said…

“No problem, I have you taken care of. We’ll give you our best suite with the balcony. It has a great view of the mountains, and a huge bathtub for your wife. Wait until you try my food there. You will love. You must try the pork. I will have it ready for you. I will call the hotel now and set it up”

And that’s how it happens.

That’s how you go from getting porked… to getting hooked the F’ up.

This just in, gringos grow about 2 to 1 in Peru. Our 5 month old is almost as tall as a 1 year old.

So we’re going to be mostly offline for the next several days. Tomorrow we leave with Gian Marco to do the 6 hour drive to Santa Teresa. We’ll post up at his adventure resort, Colo De Mono until Sunday. Can’t wait to see his place there. It’s suppose to be off the hook.

After that Stevie, Sol and I will take a train to Machu Picchu where we’ll spend two nights at the Rupa Wasi. Looking forward to that trout carpaccio!

Life is good,

Comments

1. That guy Gian Marco is so righteous! I met him in Ecuador a few years ago, que buena onda! I don’t know if he’ll remember me, but give him my best! I was with a bunch of kayakers at the time near Tena.
    Don’t you just love the Latin American way of taking care of their brothers? It’s seriously the best.
    Enjoy Machu Picchu!
    xo
    Val
    PS: I just want to squeeze that li’l baby of yours, Sol is so freaking adorable.

2. Tim Wilson says:

That is so awesome, you guys rock. Have an amazing experience up in the clouds!

3. Nonituyas says:

Machu Picchu was freaking glorious – a city built to worship the spirits of the mountains, water, and sun. I was inspired and awed when I visited there because of its incredible harmony with nature. . . It’s one of the few ruins that were not discovered and dismantled by the Spaniards, so its still there in its entirety. Imagine it as it was . . . built to last through any earth-quake (still does) roofed, stuccoed, and painted in beautiful colors inside and out – the fountains gushing, the terraces filled with gardens, the mists rising from the river valley below. Utterly gorgeous. And to think my little grand daughter gets to visit there before she’s even a year old. . . .
    BTW, you guys have incredible friendship-karma! You connect with amazing people wherever you go!
    La vida pura.

4. Nice!!! What a great guy to hook you up that way. Enjoy and take loads of pics (of the hotel too!)

5. That’s karma babe. Love love love the amazing folks who are loving you as much as we do! There’s always a place for your friends here at the MI chateau!

6. My bien!

7. Oz the great and pourfull says:

WOW!
    R U still in Peru?

8. Weirdo me says:

Nothing!
    Ha! Ha!

9. Good call! If I were to do MP again I would have to hit it big…might as well splurge and enjoy it, instead of penny pinch and still walking away broke 😉

Glad to see you guys found good people to get you set up. Enjoy!

10. Hi! New SprinterLife follower… I am very curious about how you manage language barriers! Does one/both of you speak Spanish, and how did you learn? I would love to do some worldwide travel as you guys do but I know that the different dialects in some more remote areas can be challenging. Any suggestions? Learn on the fly? Keep up the good life, it is an illuminating source of inspiration for so many of us, thank you!

11. Beautiful Family Tree...so good to see you again.. says:

Jim Semlor

12. Madrigal Madri says:

Muy linda la familia !!! Buenas vibras

13. that is one cute baby. oh… and the rest of it sounds fun too have a great time!

14. Life is good!

15. Judy Shuman says:

Wishing you a Magical Adventure!

16. NIce! If it is still there, check out a bar/restaurant in Cusco called El Angel Caido… cool design, the tables are clawfoot tubs turned into fish tanks….

17. Aaron DeHart says:

It’s magical, and I’m a pessimist. However I also spent three days “hiking” there and arrived at 5am, before any tourists. An hour later it was Disneyland. It kinda sucks if you take the train.

18. I’m dying to here what u think of the ruins.

19. Cathy Fanandakis Alexander says:

Have fun and check it out and looking forward to any Pics!!!!

20. Ursula Arlauskas says:

I love reading about your adventures. Your family is beautiful.

21. You are all so incredibly bless. Enjoy and Happy soon to be Birthday Tree. Love you all!

22. Donna Clary says:

What an adventure, glad you are so open to ‘mixing things up’. What a dream…going to such an almost mystical place.

23. WOW!! I just looked at your “path” to Machu Picchu. What a wonderful trip full of wonder. I have read alot about this place and I truly envy your good fortune. Love all three of you, Grandma