The best of show – Machu Picchu

After a great couple of days hanging at Cola De Mono (remember here), we left the van and headed for Machu Picchu via a short, scenic, and cheap hydroelectric train ride to Aguas Calientes.

After being in the jungle for several days, we were looking forward to checking into our hotel suite at the Rupa Wasi.  Upon arrival, Stevie took a hot bath until her skin pruned and Soleil played rubber baby buggy bumpers against the down pillows.

Yup, my girls were happy.

Me… I did what I always do when there is internet connection. I worked.

After a couple hours of grooming, we went to dinner at their famous restaurant, aptly named The Tree House, and as promised, the trout carpaccio was off the hook! (remember the hook up here).

During dinner I noticed Soleil eyeballing every dish. I think it might be time to start her on some solid foods soon!

Stevie and I were really excited to check out Machu Picchu the following day. We decided it was finally time to spring the surprise on Sol. Wow, was she ever excited!

“Googy Gaga Googy Ga!!!!”

Translation…

“You mean we’re really going to Machu Picchu!!! Yaaaay!!!”

Our plan was to wake up at 4am, have breakfast at 4:30, and be at the bus stop to catch the first ride to the ruins.

F.I.R.S.T – it’s how we roll.

Soleil was so excited that she decided to get up at 3:20am. So we were more than ready.

And WOW, it was worth it. We’ve been to a LOT of ruins. Machu Picchu is the best of show in my opinion. Those Incas knew what was up.

Like the pyramids in Egypt, there is a lot of debate about how exactly the primitive Incas where able to construct such amazing structures out of huge, perfectly cut stones. I’m going with Aliens. There is just no other explanation.

The ruins actually make for some great bouldering, but Stevie scolded me for leaving the ground with Sol on my back. Too bad… I’m pretty sure that roof would have gone onsight.

I doubt I was the first person to climb the ruins, but I can say with almost certainty that Stevie was probably the first gringa to breastfeed at the temple.

While we were walking around, we got a lot of attention for having a baby way up there at that altitude at Machu Picchu at 6am in the morning. One European tourist said to me,

“It’s great that you bring the baby, but it doesn’t matter, she won’t remember a thing”

I replied,

“Bro, she won’t have to remember. This is her country. This is her land… it’s already a part of her”

Now that Machu Picchu is done, we can FINALLY leave Peru.

Our plan is to head back to Cusco, get the van tuned up, get Sol her 6 month vaccines, and then head into Bolivia. We’re all so excited. A new country for Sol. A new adventure for all of us. It’s time to move on.

Next country… Bolivia.

Comments

1. Abuelita says:

Amazing!!! You are truly blessed.

2. Looks like you had a gorgeous day at the ruins….fantastic photos.

3. Auntie Alex says:

Amazzzzzzzinggggggg. Sol is looking cuter and cuter! I cannot wait to squish her!

4. Oh, you didn’t climb Wayna Picchu? That was the very best experience for us at Machu Picchu! And Patrik climbed the vertical 1-2 hours with a 25 pounds 2 year old on his back! He got a lot attention 🙂
    Well, maybe next time!

5. Michelle franco says:

Stevie- Sol is BEAUTIFUL!!!
    And so much envy of your travels, I always thought parents don’t get to travel till their children have grown up or they travel before they have kids. You! You have the luxury of both, bravo to you!!!
    Always your long time friend,
    Michelle

6. cheryll says:

AWE SOME!!!!! I am so impressed!

7. Sarah Bahn says:

I was waiting to see this post! Great pics!!!

8. Wow, we’re loving Mexico but now I’m dreaming of Peru. Soleil is gorgeous! Enjoy Bolivia. 🙂

9. I love how the mountain rises up through the morning clouds. . .the whole city is just stunning.
    Machu Picchu was built in honor of nature’s beauty, and Soleil fits right in. Her smiles are the loveliest of all . . .

Great Post, We’ve been waiting for this one. The ruins look amazing, love the photos. As for Sol not remembering being up there I feel her memories are just like the building of the ruins…one beautifully cut stone at a time,building a magnificent structure to carry her through life. She is one blessed little lady, and getting cuter everyday.

11. lovely couple, lovely Soleil, great shots and story. Thank you. Friend of Alexander from New Mexico, Ev

12. Alexander Roberts says:

TOO COOL – It’s on my “Bucket List”

WOW – your pics are incredible – well done !

13. Lorraine says:

TOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you think you guys took enough portraits???

Love knowing that there are peeps out there doing this stuff in real life.

15. Richard says:

SO AWESOME!!!! So wish I was there!!!

16. Valerie Gray says:

Soleil is soooo cute!

17. Paul Galan says:

Thats an incredible shot, you guys.

18. Isaac Holden says:

that place is magical forsure! did you get to hike up to the Wayna picchu ruins above the city on that mountain in the background?

19. Montaña says:

Wuao!!Qbelleza!!;)

20. what i think is the coolest thing is that while sol may not technically remember being there, her whole growing up is going to be made up of amazing experiences like that one, which will and have already started to shape her into the amazing person she is. not bringing her would be going against the way you guys live your lives and i think it is so rad that all 3 of you were there together. can’t wait to visit there myself someday! love the pictures!

…and when i visit, i’ll climb that roof and send you a picture

21. liz Tompkins says:

Excellent. This is on my list of places too but not with a baby! I love the pic of Stevie breastfeeding at the temple. I think you are right- that has probably never happened before. Won’t it be great for Sol to see these pictures when she is older!

22. This makes me happy, people I know at my dream destination….was it all that you thought it would be and more? Magical

23. Kris Cardwell says:

Wow and more wow! Great comeback to the Euro rude comment..You three are so beautiful and so full of life, thanks for being part of our lives. We feel like we’ve been to Machu Picchu without the altitude sickness 😉 Hug each other for us
    xoxo K y K

24. Ken Cardwell says:

Great post! Great pics! Memories for a lifetime.
    Thank You, as that is as close as I will ever be to Machu Picchu.
    ken

25. Peggy Lalor says:

Tree, wow!

26. Sooooooo Precious and Incredibly

27. Jeff Smith says:

Great pics!

28. Madrigal says:

Pura vida amigos

29. I think living in a van gets people Strong! Looking good at 5,000ft! Yea

30. Mat th v

31. Wow!
    That is one brave baby!

32. roger&barbara says:

your photos make us so happy. thank you for the joy.

33. Have to get to that place.. Crazy you guys are enjoying that with your baby. Awesome.

34. Soleil is BEST IN SHOW!!!! I just love seeing her smile developing… Such a cutie. Hugs,
    J

35. So awesome, beautiful pics as always. Sol won’t remember, but you have all of the wonderful pics to show her when she’s old enough! Bolivia!

36. Any altitude sickness? We are brining our 2 year old in November and that’s my only worry! Thx

• Hey Jenn,

We had been at altitude for around two months by the time we went to Machu Picchu, so Soleil had no problems there. We spent a month in Arequipa, which if I remember correctly is at about 4-5k feet, and then we went up to Cusco, 10-12k feet. She had some trouble during that climb up, and when we traveled across the Andes between 14-16k feet, she always felt sick (cranky, occasionally vomit).

My pediatricians in Peru told me that after 6 months old, a baby’s lungs are fully developed, so with ample time to acclimatize (the same time needed for you), your two year old should be fine. I’d pack some baby Tylenol or baby Ibuprofen to ease the discomfort for the first couple of days, and I’d DEFINITELY acclimatize at a midway point for a few days at least before jumping to Cusco/Aguas Calientes area. I think if you went from sea level straight up to MP, you all might feel crappy, and that wouldn’t be any fun.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Have FUN!!! It’s amazing experience. I hope you’re able to spend time in Cusco and the Sacred Valley as well.