Injured Again – Serra Do Cipó, Brazil

Quick update from Brazil…

It always takes us a couple weeks to really get settled into a place. On the one hand, we got incredibly lucky in Serra Do Cipó and immediately found our amazing apartment and made tons of great new friends. But on the other hand, we are incredibly remote, and this has brought a host of other difficulties. But we’re slowly figuring it out, and we are loving it.

Below, Soleil helping Mama do the grocery shopping…

DSC08618 DSC08625 DSC08628

The biggest crux we had was figuring out the internet. Although the apartment we’re staying in has wifi, it never actually works. We ended up going into the city to buy USB 3G sticks. This was challenging.

People who say that if you speak Spanish you’ll be able to communicate in Portuguese are full of shit.

DSC08665

Stevie is actually doing pretty well with it, but I struggle even with Google Translate. After some creative conversation and even more creative solutions to not being citizens, we were able to purchase the sticks, and they work great in our apartment. Well, I should say they work great for everything except video Skype calls.

I rely heavily on Skype to conduct my business in the States, so now I have to schedule all calls and go into town where there is enough bandwidth at a tiny internet cafe. Not ideal, but the situation is stable.

DSC08629

The final missing piece was finding a nanny for Soleil. We always hire a nanny when we stay in one place for a while. We do this for 2 reasons:

1) So Soleil has contact with a native speaker.

2) So Stevie has time to write. Many people have asked about when her first book is coming out. Well… <hint hint>.

Sol seems to like this nanny well-enough. The only problem is she doesn’t speak Spanish, only Portuguese. So now Sol is starting to mix words in not two, but THREE languages. Lovely.

DSC08645

Below, Soleil with her new best friend, Aris, at the climbing area…

DSC08649

Below, Soleil catching a nap between climbs…

DSC08662

So we’ve been totally digging the climbing scene here, up until my most recent accident.

Yes people, I’m injured. Again.

I was about 80 feet up a climb minding my own damn business when I was attacked by a swarm of bees. In the ensuing fight, I separated 3 ribs on my left side. No, I haven’t been to the doctor. I am able to self-diagnos my injuries at this point.

About 4 years ago I was surfing and got caught inside. I was thrown into my board which completely fractured my sternum in half, and mildly strained some ribs. It’s actually one of my cooler X-rays. I went to the doctor after that accident and was told that they only see fractures like that in head on car collisions from people hitting the steering wheel. He also said there was nothing you can do for that type of injury but wait.

Doctor Google told me the same thing about this rib injury. So now I wait. And work.

DSC08637

I’m bummed about the injury. We came a long way to climb, and now I’m laid up for at least 6 weeks. But I actually feel worse for Stevie. Once again she’s managing the worst patient on the planet. I’m that grumpy guy who refuses to take his pain meds, drinks tequila at 10 in the morning, and won’t get out of bed. Once again she is spoon feeding me sympathy and helping me on and off the toilet.

When she made those wedding vows back on the beach in El Salvador (remember here), I really don’t think she had any idea what she was getting into.

Bless her heart.

DSC08634

Comments

1. Be nice to my Stevie!!!

2. Oh man.. Tequilla @10? Get well..

3. Cathy Alexander says:

Hi Stevie, Soleil, & Tree: Nice pictures , Nanny looks nice! Although Jeanine & Theresa never had a Nanny, never liked a concept of leaving them to anyone but my mother! Did leave Theresa to a older women and I had to pump my breast so she could have bottles! I missed her, so after awhile I just took care of her myself! Some mannerism’s of some people I didn’t want them to pick up! I guess I had my own way of raising, teaching, disciplining, values Etc. So I gave up my career, sometimes I do regret doing that! At first it was quite a sacrifice, but it turned out in the end! It’s really hard for a women to do both! Today they do, I guess I’m old fashioned! Maybe I would have more material things because of working! I chose the priority and my husband, to be a full time Mom. My identity is Ma The empty nest syndrome, is harder because no one to take care of! Not a grandmother yet, So it’s me and my husband, to lull around and sometimes be bored! I have hobbies, but there is not much you can do at 68 years old! So do it all when your young and when you have the stamina & time! I think it’s nice you travel so much and do what you do! Wonderful memories and fun!!!! I hope Tree your ribs get better! I had broken ribs from a car accident! It was painful and hard to breath! Take it easy and I hope your back out there again!!!! Take Care Love Cathy 🙂 <3 :*

4. Auntie A says:

Well at least you didn’t: shatter both feet, pull your groin from too much sitting, OR completely lose your marbles because of drinking too much water. 🙂 Be careful out there! Miss you guys!

5. Bryon Blofstein says:

Oh must find out when Stevie is published!

6. Get better!!

7. Stefan Bennett says:

Men are the worst patients…. I know what I’m like. lol Heal up fast.

8. Brian Thomen says:

Feel better my brother thank God its not worse than than we all know that is a small price to be paid for extreme sports!! Love You and Miss You Bro!! and that goes to Stevie and Soleil to!!
    Brian T.

• Hola amigo! It’s good to hear from you. You are very right, and we’re grateful it’s just a scratch, so to speak. Wishing you well. ox.

9. Ditto what Auntie A says!!
    Xoxo

10. Lisa Burke says:

She is the luckiest girl in the world! Breathing in the pure Luxor of air, flowers, wind, sun… She is very blessed

11. Tree and Stevie and Soliel,

I get inspired by looking at your adventures.
    I look forward to seeing you guys the next time you are in town.
    I have been looking at Sprinters lately, getting the travel bug, not yet but soon, I will be able to set up a good long trip.
    Stevie , you should do a KICKSTARTER for your book, there was a guy who was writing a book on traveling down to some where I believe in Argentina, He raised 18,000 pretty quick.

12. Peggy Ditch-Langdon says:

Suck it up and quit being so grumpy…you are one fortunate dude!! 🙂

13. Donna Clary says:

I am glad for this format of an up-date, especially since I am off FB. My brother said he saw (FB) where Tree was injured. Was going to email to find out the details. Now I know. Get well. Take care Stevie…care taker. Love your writing and news letters. Please keep ’em comin’. Take care.

Hi there. I enjoy your blog and go on adventures vicariously through you,
    so thanks for that! I just wanted to mention that my brothers young twins
    were being spoken to in Spanish and German at home. When English came in to
    the mix as they started school in La Paz their language skills started to
    regress. Just something to keep an eye (or ear) out for with Soleil.
    Their pediatrician advised them to limit communication to two languages
    until they got older, so they cut out German. At this point these twins
    are brilliant 16 year olds. They live in Japan, where my brother and his
    wife have been teaching for the past 2 years and they now speak a fair
    amount of Japanese and will start to study intensive independent German at
    their IB school this year. Just thought I would pass that along cause I
    know it can get confusing. I lived in Alfenas, Brazil 35 years ago for a
    couple of months and the Spanish/Portuguese thing was not that easy to
    navigate, although I had youth on my side. Take care and keep the
    adventures coming.
    Andrei

15. Get well soon Tree!

16. Dr. Google is great and is the ONLY doctor I will consult with. 😉

Was attacked by a swarm of wasps once when soloing–ran up those last 30 feet faster than I’ve ever climbed before.